Monday, August 29, 2011

Things That Make You Say.... Hmmm.

So Hurricane Irene was by no means horrible, but it was not a walk in the park either. Usually here in the Eastern Carolina  we do not get hit by many hurricanes if any. While I have been stationed here; I have been around for 3 projected hurricanes... the first hurricane turned out to be a little rain and wind for about an hour and then clear skies, the second hurricane... well... didn't happen, and the third hurricane, Irene, a Category 1 storm when it ran through Jacksonville. It did enough damage to frustrate and make me as uncomfortable as I think I can be. My power was knocked out from the onset storms of Irene on Friday night and just came back on this afternoon. I know a lot of people have it worse than I do and I do appreciate the luxuries that I have, however I was very aggravated, irritated, and "insert word here" not having ac or any form of electronic entertainment. I did get some sleep while without electricity, but I kept waking every hour or so because I would get too sweaty hot. Food was also an issue that added to the descriptive words above. Of course the food that I had wanted to eat all required either the over, microwave, or toaster oven. None of which I could use. Yesterday the neighbor stopped by and mentioned that he might be able to get us a generator, which just to mention would have been amazing, but that was just a tease and we never heard back. My roommates and I called the power company and got redirected for what seemed like an hour and then finally was told "fortunately" our power would be back on by Thursday. I was in utter disbelief and I didn't think I could go another night, but I did and it was just as uncomfortable as the first. Today I woke up with high hopes that the power would already be on and then later on in the day we were told it would be on this evening and moments after we were told power trucks and tree service trucks came rolling up. I do have my power on and it is such a relief. I can not wait to sleep in a cozy bed in a cozy room.

On the drawing end of the road, has been lifeless. I have not been able to get myself in the past  three days to sit down for an extended period of time and focus on one thing. The heat and lifeless of the house made me kind of feel the same way. The house is back, so I am too.... gonna sleep peacefully tonight *fingers crossed*. 

No comments: